Monday, December 17, 2012

Finals Day

Sat 15th December 2012....................a date that will live long in my memory. After 4 months of work, headaches, joy and laughter, the day finally arrived. Have you ever been so nervous that you're convinced someone has replaced your stomach with a washing machine on fast spin? Because that's what mine felt like hours before the contest even started.

I have to confess that is was a fear/happiness reaction I think, fear of what was to come and happiness in all that had happened in the previous 4 months.

10am.........the curtains rose on the finals of Miss Virtual World 2013. At the same time the curtains rose, so did my heart rise into my mouth.

Our first walk was to show our National gowns, the gowns that reflected and were inspired by our countries. As I actually am a Cypriot, the influences were many and subtle, but I was just delighted with how the gown looked. This is my National gown, brilliantly captured at the final show by Tillie Ariantho.




This work of living art was designed and made by such a talented lady, Bouquet Babii of Vero Modero. It was very deliberately designed as a Goddess style as my country has a long history, profoundly influenced by many cultures, but possibly most by Greece. Now SL being SL, I wasn't able to open my notecards - OK I was dumb, I should have written it on Word and cut and pasted, one thing learned! This was my inspiration, thanks Persia and Kay for covering live when I couldn't shout this to the audience :)


"My country has a long history and I drew upon this for the inspiration for my National Gown.

The golden headdress harks back to ancient times and pays homage to the ancient peoples who left our shores thousands of years ago, such as the Greeks and the Phoenicians. The vines on the headdress and belt remember the many thousands of years of agriculture and grape cultivation in the valleys of South Cyprus and , of course, the ancient tradition of wine-making. The wings on the headdress remind us of Apollo, the Sun God and his huge temple built on the south coast of my country two and a half thousand years ago.

The pale green of the gown represents the explosion of colour that carpets the Troodos Mountains in Spring as life awakens after the winter months. The white train reminds us of the beaches of my country, with their gentle surf and 350 days of sun.

The white, green and gold is to pay respect to the flag of my country with its golden land, white background and green laurel wreath.

My heartfelt thanks go to Bouquet Babii, Vero Modero's designer for creating this piece of art for me to represent my country."


That's what I MEANT to say at the final, for some reason SL refused to let me open anything, well it happens!!

My formal gown I was just thrilled with when Amutey DeCuir of Bliss sent it to me. An almost ethereal lacy creation with a slit skirt and reminded me so, so much of an impossibly glamorous film star. You might see it differently, but that's how it struck me !




This was captured again by Tillie Ariantho in the final stage we walked. i dared not even cam around for fear of crashing, so great job Tillie xxx

This was the inspiration for my formal gown :

"My Formal Gown evokes many aspects of Cyprus. The flowing wave-like skirt is inspired by the Cypriot beaches, with their gentle surf and 350 days of sun each year. The Troodos mountains are a big part of my country and the delicate pinks of the formal gown hark back to the mountain violets that carpet our mountains as Spring arrives. The single shoulder design from Bliss Couture again reminds us of the long history of my country, bringing back memories of the ancient peoples of old who have left their mark on Cyprus, such as the Greeks and Phoenicians who left our shoes many thousands of years ago."

The part I was dreading was waiting for the other ladies to walk, but I found myself being drawn to watching and listening to their inspirations and admiring such incredible haute couture designs from some of SLs very best.

Time really did fly by during the evening and after the top 12 were announced, I was disappointed not to be included, but that is a part of the contest. So, I had a cry, opened a bottle of wine and watched with huge interest the progress to the crowning of the new Miss Virtual World. The top 12 were :

  1. Meimei Shiu ✦ MISS V♛ CHINA
  2. Zaara123 ✦ MISS V♛ ICELAND
  3. Natzuka Miliandrovic ✦ MISS V♛ ITALY
  4. Shinobu Istmal ✦ MISS V♛ JAPAN
  5. Starline Igeria ✦ MISS V♛ KENYA
  6. Ananya Mai ✦ MISS V♛ MALASYA
  7. Dana Yotov ✦ MISS V♛ PHILIPPINES
  8. Celestial Lunasea ✦ MISS V♛ TAIWAN
  9. Ashia Denimore ✦ MISS V♛ THAILAND
  10. Nice Wildrose ✦ MISS V♛ TURKEY
  11. Leah McCullough ✦ MISS V♛ URUGUAY
  12. Imani Enzo ✦ MISS V♛ USA

I tried to pick a winner right there and then, even though there were still 12 ladies to go, but I couldn't. So I listened to their answers to the questions posed and was struck by how thoughful all the answers were.

The top 5 were soon announced and they were :

  1. Meimei Shiu ✦ MISS V♛ CHINA
  2. Zaara123 ✦ MISS V♛ ICELAND
  3. Natzuka Miliandrovic ✦ MISS V♛ ITALY
  4. Starline Igeria ✦ MISS V♛ KENYA
  5. Leah McCullough ✦ MISS V♛ URUGUAY

Soon afterwards after much questioning, Starline Igeria, the adorable Miss Kenya was crowned as the new Miss Virtual World. As I've lived in Kenya in RL, I was so delighted for her!

I can say, hand on heart, that this was the most demanding 4 months of my entire Second Life, but you know what? I would not trade one second of these past months for anything, not even gold. I poured my heart and soul into the contest and I have learned so, so much, not just about the skills of modelling, but about myself. I was upset not to make it to the top 12, but now after a little time has passed, I can deal with it much better. On another day, things may have been totally different, but on this day, the best lady won, no arguments!!

To those of you reading, if you be an experienced model, a new model or maybe thinking about starting, don't think "OMG I could never do that". You can, trust me. I am no veteran, I only graduated from my first school just over a year ago, so see, you don't need to have years of experience. Just have the desire and the will to give it everything until you have nothing left. 

What did I learn during these months? Too much to write here and that's a fact. I'll now do things I wouldn't have dared to before this started. I can deal with the inevitable rejections that come a model's way with a lot more grace then maybe I used to and that is a vital lesson I learned. The ladies I shared this time with, all of them were winners to me, such style grace and generosity.

My final thanks go to my designers who want above and beyond the call of duty, to all of the MVW team who somehow managed to plan and pull off this massive undertaking seamlessly and without a hitch. To my friends who supported me, pushed me and cried with me, I love all of you xxxxx

Here's to a great 2013, my wishes for you and your loved ones is for a peaceful and joyous Christmas.


SPONSORS FOR MVW

National Gown - Bouquet Babii - Vero Modero
Formal Gown - Amutey DeCuir - Bliss Couture
Hair - Kreolita DeCosta - Element Hair
Jewellry - Sequoia Nightfire
Poses - Isoldel Resident - Isomotions






1 comment:

  1. Kim, just a note to say thanks for the hard work. I believe you should have been in the final 5 hun! Your work for the industry has always been a "cut above" IMO. Hope that wine didn't give you a headache and thanks for this coverage....xoxo Burly

    ReplyDelete